2020 was certainly a year like no other and one many of us would prefer to write off.
I’m still pretty much a newbie in running my own business – just about three years. 2020 gave me learning opportunities which made me more confident and focused in achieving my business goals.
If you’re someone who is finding it hard to find your groove with digital marketing, take a look at my five top learnings.
- Be bold about getting to know people online and put an effort into fostering those relationships. I have made some great connections by attending conferences and courses and by joining in events like Twitter chats. Showing up online means I have given myself the best opportunity to be seen. I also value engagement so I set time aside for commenting on social media posts. I believe it’s just as important as posting your own content.
TIP: If you take time to join in conversations and engage on social threads, you’ll soon start making new acquaintances. Set aside time to be active on social media for short periods each day or at least 3 – 4 times a week.
- Broaden your connections. This is in no way a reflection on other social media managers but, once I realised I needed to go further than just connecting with them, my audience became more diverse and interesting. I was no longer just chatting with a whole load of people like me.
TIP: By spreading your social media wings and starting to engage in conversations with people who are outside of your industry, you’ll start to become involved in other networks. The great thing is that you will start being looked to as the expert in these new circles.
- Keep an open mind about everything and be prepared to explore. I have found reading, listening to podcasts and attending events this year has given me a broader perspective about social media marketing and marketing in general. For sure this is impacting on the offers I put out and how I want to run my business.
TIP: If you feel your business needs a freshen up or an injection of something, be prepared to do some research and explore the possibilities. It may be that you would like to have some training, or you are looking for an app or tech to help you. You may even consider hiring an expert to come in and give you some support.
- Networking is key. I have found this beneficial in so many ways. Having to explain what my business is about to groups of strangers is good practice as an elevator pitch. I have more confidence to talk about my business and share my expertise.
TIP: If you can commit to a regular networking meeting each week for an hour, you’ll soon find that you start to establish the all-important ‘know, like and trust’ factor in your group. Get to know different people at networking sessions. Then engage on their content on social media and vice versa, to establish more conversation.
- Speak your own words and be yourself. Being honest and real has helped me to stay authentic (yes, I know we hate that word!) It has also meant that I can say what I’m thinking without fear of repercussions or worrying that someone doesn’t like me. I know I’m not going to be everyone’s cup of tea but I know I want to work with people who are my ideal clients. If someone doesn’t like what I’m talking about or how I’m saying it then, to be honest, that’s their gripe not mine.
TIP: You can’t be all things to all people so show up as the real you with your own thoughts and opinions. People will want to do business with you if they see you as an honest and genuine person.
What’s your focus word for 2021?
There’s of course so much more I could I mention. I’m well aware that giving a limited number of bits of information is a greater help in terms of processing. That’s the ex-teacher in me coming out!
I intend to continue learning in 2021. In fact ‘Exploration’ is my focus word for this new year. Gaining knowledge and finding new opportunities is an exciting prospect.
Have you given any thought to a word to help you in your business throughout 2021?
Would you like to know more about how to be seen online and attracting your target audience? I’d like to help you. I’m keen to see many more small business owners embracing personal branding and getting seen through effective digital marketing. Drop me a line here and let’s have a chat.
Category: Business Tips